Questions To Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- Why are some addictions more socially acceptable than other addictions?
- Do you see mental disorders and addictions general and constant across all cultures, or are addictions and mental disorders more culturally based? Resources
- Suggested Resources The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom. Capella Multimedia Click the links provided below to view the following multimedia pieces: • Addiction and Dependence Pathways | Transcript . • The Reward Pathway | Transcript . • The Biological Sleep Clock |Transcript . Show More Library Resources The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Edwards, G. (2012). 100 years ago in addiction science . Addiction , 107 (8), 1530–1531. doi:10.1111/ j.1360-0443.2011.03712.x
- Ardakani, A., Seghatoleslam, T., Habil, H., Jameei, F., & Rashid, R. (2013). A pilot study of prevalence of psychiatric disorder among drug-dependent patients: A report from an addiction centre in Malaysia . International Medical Journal , 20 (5), 537–541.
- Unger, A., Starzer, B., & Fischer, G. (2012). Addiction is a psychiatric disorder – What have we learned from history?Addiction , 107 (6), 1043–1044. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2012.03786.x
- Marmorstein, N. R., Iacono, W. G., & McGue, M. (2012). Associations between substance use disorders and major depression in parents and late adolescent-emerging adult offspring: An adoption study . Addiction , 107 (11), 1965–1973. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2012.03934.x
- Smith, P. H., Homish, G. G., Giovino, G. A., & Kozlowski, L. T. (2014). Cigarette smoking and mental illness: A study of nicotine withdrawal . American Journal of Public Health , 104 (2), e127-e133. doi:10.2105/ AJPH.2013.301502
- Bellamy, C. D., Rowe, M., Benedict, P., & Davidson, L. (2012). Giving back and getting something back: The role of mutual-aid groups for individuals in recovery from incarceration, addiction, and mental illness . Journal of Groups in Addiction & Recovery , 7 , 223–236. doi:10.1080/1556035X.2012.705703
- Molina, B. G., Walther, C. P., Cheong, J., Pedersen, S. L., Gnagy, E. M., & Pelham, W. E., Jr. (2014). Heavy alcohol use in early adulthood as a function of childhood ADHD: Developmentally specific mediation by social impairment and delinquency . Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology , 22 (2), 110–121. doi:10.1037/ a0035656
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Fjerkenstad, J. (2012). In my opinion: Treatment that mirrors the dark world . Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity , 19 , 156–160. doi:10.1080/10720162.2012.665292
- Ziedonis, D. M., & Kolodziej, M. E. (2012). Innovative interventions for treating tobacco addiction among persons with co-occurring mental illness and addiction: New approaches to improve outcomes . Journal of Dual Diagnosis , 8 (2), 85–88. doi:10.1080/15504263.2012.672159
- Sprenkle, D. H. (2012). Intervention research in couple and family therapy: A methodological and substantive review and an introduction to the special issue . Journal of Marital and Family Therapy , 38 (1), 3–29. doi:10.1111/j.1752-0606.2011.00271.x
- Rantala, V., & Sulkunen, P. (2012). Is pathological gambling just a big problem or also an addiction? Addiction Research and Theory , 20 (1), 1–10. doi:10.3109/16066359.2011.552819
- Zweben, J. E., & Ashbrook, S. (2012). Mutual-help groups for people with co-occurring disorders . Journal of Groups in Addiction & Recovery , 7 , 202–222. doi:10.1080/1556035X.2012.705700
- Benningfield, M. M., Dietrich, M. S., Jones, H. E., Kaltenbach, K., Heil, S. H., Stine, S. M.,…Martin, P. R. (2012). Opioid dependence during pregnancy: Relationships of anxiety and depression symptoms to treatment outcomes[Supplement]. Addiction , 107 , 74–82. doi:10.1111/j.1360-0443.2012.04041.x
- Agrawal, A., Narayanan, G., & Oltmanns, T. F. (2013). Personality pathology and alcohol dependence at midlife in a community sample . Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment , 4 (1), 55–61. doi:10.1037/a0030224
- Hartman, L. I., Ho, V., Arbour, S., Hambley, J. M., & Lawson, P. (2012). Sexual addiction and substance addiction: Comparing sexual addiction treatment outcomes among clients with and without comorbid substance use disorders . Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity , 19 , 284–309. doi:10.1080/10720162.2012.735515
- Mistler, L. A., Brunette, M. F., Ferron, J. C., & Ziedonis, D. M. (2012). Shared decision making and behavioral support interventions for people with severe mental illness and tobacco dependence . Journal of Dual Diagnosis , 8 (2), 99–103. doi:10.1080/15504263.2012.671093
- Schlosser, A. V., & Hoffer, L. D. (2012). The psychotropic self/imaginary: Subjectivity and psychopharmaceutical use among heroin users with co-occurring mental illness . Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry , 36 (1), 26–50. doi:10.1007/s11013-011-9244-9
- Lembke, A. (2012). Time to abandon the self-medication hypothesis in patients with psychiatric disorders . The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse , 38 (6), 524–529. doi:10.3109/00952990.2012.694532