NUTRITION SUPPLEMENT USE IN DIABETES OR HIV
Supplement Use in Diabetes or HIV
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Select one botanical compound or other CAM dietary supplement used as
complementary therapy in HIV Disease or in Diabetes. (see list below for DM
suggestions or Table 24.7 in textbook for HIV suggestions; you may also choose others listed on the NCCAM website)
- Research information about the selected supplement. You may use credible websites and reference books for basic descriptive information. Additionally, you must find at least one peer-reviewed scientific research publication (from Pubmed or other library source) that relates to use and effectiveness of your supplement in Diabetes or HIV.
** Attach a copy of the Journal Abstract, including citation. **
Summarize the findings of your research: Prepare a 1-page write-up
compound, including the following information:
- Common name & botanical name of supplement
- Active compound, if known
- Potential or suggested uses for the supplement in general, and specifically for
DM or HIV. What is the supplement purported to do?
- Side effects or toxicity of the supplement
- Scientific evidence for efficacy of the supplement
- Potential interactions with foods, or with prescription or over the counter drugs
- Professional conclusion: Based on your research, would you recommend this
supplement to a client? – why/why not
*Use credible sources. Be sure to reference the source of information for each of these items. List the website and other references accessed so that someone else will be able to check your information.*
* Summarize the information in your own words* Do NOT simply copy what you read – that is plagiarism!*
*Your assignment should be 2 pages: the one page write-up with source citations & copy of the journal article abstract and reference citation.
Suggested supplements for Diabetes:
Garlic Cinnamon Tumeric Fenugreek
Berberine Ginko Biloba Bitter melon Chromium
Asian Ginseng Prickly Pear Cactus
Pterocarpus marsupium (Indian kinko, Malbar kinko, Pistasara, Venga)
Gymnema Sylvestre (Gurmar, Meshasringi, Cherukurinja) Others possible…
Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS): http://ods.od.nih.gov/
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM): http://nccam.nih.gov/
MedlinePlus; US National Library of Medicine, NIH:
Dietary Supplement Label Database; NIH: http://www.dsld.nlm.nih.gov/dsld/
Council for Responsible Nutrition: http://www.crnusa.org/
Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center:
Vitamin Herb University: www.vitaminherbuniversity.com
Drug Interactions Checker: www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html/
Medscape Drug Interaction Checker: http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrativemedicine/about-herbs-botanicals-other-products
Reference Books:Mosby’s Handbook of Herbs and Natural Supplements, 4th edition, by L Skidmore-Roth, RN,MSN, NP.
The Health Professional’s Guide to Dietary Supplements, by SM Talbot and K Hughes.
The Health Professional’s Guide to Popular Dietary Supplements 3rd edition, by A S Fragakis MS,RD, with C A Thomson, PhD, RD.