Health Promotion organizations, non-profits, and agencies
Application: Health Promotion organizations, non-profits, and agencies
our University provides a diverse community of career professionals with the opportunity to transform themselves as scholar-practitioners so that they may transform society.
—The University Mission The university mission is a key component of the Walden experience, and throughout your program of study you will be asked to consider how you might apply what you have learned toward the “greater good” of your community.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
The Application Assignment for this week is intended to focus on the mission and to encourage you to consider personal or community action you could take in order to affect meaningful change in the health of individuals in your community.
To prepare for this Application Assignment, locate at least four organizations that contribute to the health of your own community. For each, consider how you might participate in any of their activities—how you could make a difference personally. Examples of ways that you could personally foster a change in your community include:
- Buying locally grown produce
- Donating food to community organizations
- Building homes for the underprivileged
- Volunteering at an after-school program
To complete this Application Assignment, write a 1- to 2-page paper that includes the following:
- A list of the four organizations you located. Describe the mission or purpose of each. (Some examples or organizations and non-profits are listed in the website area).
- Select one of the organizations for which you might like to volunteer or make some kind of contribution. Then describe the type(s) of personal actions you could take, with the support of the organization, to contribute to your community. Explain why you chose these particular actions and how this involvement aligns with Walden’s mission.
- If you are already involved in community service activities, name and describe the organization with which you work. Also explain how you contribute to the organization’s activities.
Note: The purpose of this Application is to encourage you to begin thinking about what you might do to contribute to your community. You are not required to volunteer or take part in any activities. The objective is to begin thinking about ways you could apply the Walden mission.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure that your in-text citations and reference list are correct.
Video: Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Concepts of health promotion: Health promotion and prevention in practice.Baltimore, MD: Author.Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 18 minutes.
Dr. Beilenson begins this media program by describing the types of prevention that are normally used in maintaining health or avoiding disease. Dr. Jeffery Levi provides examples of successful interventions used by various community programs. The other scholars, Dr. Gibson, Dr. Perlman, and Dr. Shaughnessy, explain the concept of evidence-based methodologies and interventions. They discuss various aspects of the patient-practitioner relationship, including the need for practitioners to be sensitive to the cultural background and spiritual beliefs of their patient.