Course: Leadership in Healthcare Organizations
Course Textbook: Organizational Behavior in Health Care
Author: Nancy Borkowski
ISBN: 9780763763831 —
Assignment Readings —
• Online reading: See “Online Reading” below
• From your course textbook, Organizational behavior in health care, read the following chapters:
o Workplace communication
o Stress in the workplace and stress management
o Decision making
o Conflict management and negotiation skills —
Assignment Instructions —
• Use your course textbook as your primary reference source as much as possible, then the internet and online reading as secondary sources of information. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format. —-
Topic: Self-assessment of Communication Skills –
See Added Files for template provided to document all your answers for this assignment. —
In this assignment, you will develop an understanding of how good listening is crucial to effective communication and career success. In addition, you will perform a personal assessment of your communication skills and style. —
As a student studying healthcare administration and leadership in healthcare, you should be developing your own personal development plan to include a personal assessment of your communication skills. —
Listening is an integral part of the communication process. Communication in the healthcare setting is vital. This includes communication between doctors and patients, doctors and nurses, clinicians and administrators, and so on.–
Based on your learning, create a 3- to 4-page Microsoft Word document that includes answers to the following questions (use template to document all your answers):
• Which topic of conversation makes you uncomfortable? What is the topic? Do you know why you find it difficult to talk about this topic?
• What do you do when you become uncomfortable during a conversation? Do you withdraw? Do you try to change the topic? Do you speak louder or softer? Do you begin to gesticulate?
• Have you had an occasion to talk to a very persuasive or very aggressive person? If you and this person hold different opinions, can you hold to your position? Are you easily “led” in a conversation?
• Are you flexible in a conversation? If a comment made by someone takes the conversation in an unexpected direction, can you adjust quickly? Can you assimilate new information, reassess your position, and continue the conversation?
• When entering into a conversation, do you attempt to eliminate potential distractions and interruptions?
• Do you consciously avoid having important conversations in high traffic public areas where environmental distractions are likely possible? Why?
• Do you put your cell phone in the silence mode when you are likely to have conversations? Why?
• Do you listen without interruption and sufficiently control the conversation to minimize interruption? Why?
• When engaged in a conversation, do you give your undivided attention to the matters being discussed? Why?
• When engaged in discussion, do you develop reflective questions pertinent to the conversation? Why?
• When engaged in discussion, do you make conscious eye contact? Why?
• When involved in conversations, are you cognizant of body language, both the individual you are conversing with and your own? Why?
• Do you have an understanding of body language gestures and posturing? —
In a self-assessment summary, provide a list of your communication strengths and weaknesses. Also, provide a plan to address the weaknesses identified. —
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format. –
To receive maximum points for this assignment, cover ALL areas in grading criteria below. –
Assignment Grading Criteria Maximum Points
Presented an analysis and assessment of your communication skills and style. 15
Met the criteria for the correct responses to each of the questions assigned. 15
Provided a self-assessment summary, listing your communication strengths and weaknesses, and a plan to address the weaknesses identified. 15
Used correct spelling, grammar, and professional vocabulary. Cited all sources using APA format. 5
“Online Reading” —
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now