- Develop a 4â€“5-page plan for building an effective team with representatives from different functional areas that will work together to develop a new business model and growth strategies for an expanding business. The ability to build and lead high-performing, collaborative teams is a critical skill in any size organization.SHOW LESSBy successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Solve business problems using critical thinking and effective decision making.
- Explain the reasons for including specific functional areas in an organizational team.
- Explain strategies for delegating responsibility within a team.
- Explain how the success of a team is measured.
- Competency 4: Explain the skills and characteristics of an effective team.
- Describe the characteristics of effective team members.
- Explain how to effectively communicate team objectives to team members.
- Describe strategies for handling conflict between members of a team.
- Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for the field of business.
- Organize content so ideas flow logically with smooth transitions.
CHECK YOUR PROGRESSUse this online tool to track your performance and progress through your course.
- Competency 3: Solve business problems using critical thinking and effective decision making.
- Toggle Drawer
Perhaps you have heard the saying that there is no I in the word team. This can be especially true for business professionals who have learned that the key to successful projects is often the result of effective teamwork. Therefore, teamwork has become an important element in dynamic, successful organizations that meet or exceed their goals.SHOW LESSMore challenging is the implementation of true collaboration in the teamwork environment. Although teamwork is desired and necessary, organizations still tend to recognize and reward individuality over team participation. Those who are tasked with leading the development of teams must find ways to encourage and support each individual to grow and function as a team. Team development is about composing and managing teams as well as inspiring and enabling their members.In today’s rapidly changing business world, organizations rely heavily on the ability of employees to work on multiple teams that vary in duration, have a constantly evolving membership, and successfully manage change. Understanding the challenges involved in teamwork can help organizations avoid chaos and achieve their desired results.
- Toggle Drawer
Use the following resources to research functional areas for your assessment:
- Kirova, V. (2017). Exploring the role of strategic marketing department. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 11(2), 27â€“38.
- Heathfield, S. M. (2019). What does a human resources manager, generalist, or director do? Retrieved from https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what-does-a-huma…
- Wilson, J. M. (2018). Deconstructing the reinvention of operations management. Journal of Management History, 24(2), 128â€“155.
- Hagel, J. (2013). The global finance function: Five focal points. Journal of Accountancy, 216(3), 20â€“21.
- Moore, M. (2017, May 8). Who will be replaced by a robot? Ottawa Business Journal, 20(14), AFF314â€“AFF315.
- Millburn, N. (n.d.). Roles & responsibilities of effective teamwork. Houston Chronicle. Retrieved from https://work.chron.com/roles-responsibilities-effe…
Fostering emotional intelligence is key in achieving team unity and success. You may read more in the following article:
- Cole, M. L., Cox, J. D., & Stavros, J. M. (2019). Building collaboration in teams through emotional intelligence: Mediation by SOAR (strengths, opportunities, aspirations, and results). Journal of Management and Organization, 25(2), 263â€“283.
Today’s team may or may not be based physically onsite. Explore how to improve communication in this suggested article:
- Hill, N. S., & Bartol, K. M. (2018). Five ways to improve communication in virtual teams. MIT Sloan Management Review, 60(1), 1â€“5.
Leaders must know how to delegate well in order to benefit the team’s objectives. For more information on delegation, read this article:
- Bloom, E. (2019). Better delegation = better leadership. Nonprofit World, 33(7), 20â€“21.
Is conflict always negative? Learn more in this suggested article:
- Fowler, A., Field, E., & McMahon, J. (2019). The upside of conflict. Stanford Social Innovation Review, 17(1), 34â€“41.
In business, your team may consist of varying roles with differing objectives. Learn how to bring everyone together in this suggested article:
- Lepsinger, R. (2018). Better together: Building effective cross-functional teams. Industrial Management, 60(5), 26â€“30.
Check Your Understanding: The Problem Statement
The following brief self-assessment will assess your ability to identify the qualities of a good problem statement:
- Choosing a Problem Statement.
You may use resources of your choice to prepare for this assessment; however, you will need to ensure that they are appropriate, credible, and valid. The BUS-FP3007 â€“ Developing a Business Perspective Library Guide can help direct your research. The Supplemental Resources and Research Resources, both linked from the navigation menu in your courseroom, provide additional resources to help support you.
Use the Capella library and the Internet to research the characteristics of effective teams, as well as strategies for building and leading teams. Use at 3â€“7 reputable resources to support your writing in this assessment.
For this assessment, consider you are a consultant hired by an established medium-sized manufacturing corporation with 250 employees. It directly markets one unique product. The corporation is run by a new CEO and 11 other executives who have been with the organization for varying lengths of time. The new CEO has an aggressive growth objective for the corporation of 100 percent over the next five years. The current business model will not support this objective and needs to be updated.Your task is to create a team that will work together over a 9-month time frame to develop a proposal for a new business model and growth strategies. Your responsibilities include convening the team, assigning roles and responsibilities, structuring the team, monitoring activities and production, and documenting outcomes. The team members must come from at least three different functional areas because the new CEO wants input from a variety of stakeholders. The challenge is that under the old business model, none of the personnel working in the functional areas communicated or collaborated. In addition, the former CEO never asked for new ideas and seemed oblivious to issues the corporation was facing.The following are key ideas for you to keep in mind as you write your plan, but this isn’t an outline for the plan. An outline and what you should include in your plan is defined in the Requirements section further below.
- The team will work together for a sustained period of time.
- The visible outcome of the teamwork should focus on the development of a new business model and growth strategies; however, the success of the team as an outcome is up to you and the team members.
- There should be a representative from each of the three functional areas to produce the model.
- A variety of perspectives is important.
- Communication and collaboration are new priorities for teamwork; these processes have not been considered as valuable in the past.
- Issues impacting the business model have not previously been identified by the business’ leadership.
- Innovation previously has not been prioritized as a factor in the business model.
Develop a plan for building your team that you could present to the CEO. To facilitate evaluation of this assessment, format it according to APA guidelines.
The purpose of this assessment is to create an overview of what should be considered when developing teams. It is not intended to be an in-depth analysis. Using the scenario described above for this assessment, write a plan with the following sections. You may use the Assessment 3 Template [DOCX] to create your plan if desired.
- Title page.
- Briefly ï»¿explain the goal of your plan and the high-level approach you took in developing it.
- Functional ï»¿Area Team Member Selections.
- Select and describe team members from three of these functional areas: human resources, accounting/finance, marketing/sales, information technology, and operations.
- Reasons for Functional Area Team Member Selections.
- Explain the reasons for including each functional area and team member in an organizational team in terms of the advantages offered and the type of role an individual would fill.
- Characteristics of Effective Team Members.
- ï»¿Describe the characteristics (knowledge, skills, and abilities) each team member brings to the project and explain how those characteristics support a team effort and will be crucial to its success.
- Communicating Team Objectives.
- ï»¿Explain how you will effectively communicate team objectives, and consider the consequences of failing to do so. Will you draft a team charter? Will you write a mission statement?
- Strategies for Delegating Responsibility.ï»¿
- Explain the types of strategies you will use to delegate responsibility within the team, how the strategies take into account individual strengths, and how responsibility is delegated fairly. Will you assign tasks or ask for volunteers?
- Strategies for Managing Conflict.ï»¿
- Describe strategies that will be used to avoid and resolve conflicts between members of a team, and consider the consequences of not dealing with conflict.ï»¿
- Success Measurement, Tools, and Process.
- Explain how the success of the team will be measured.
- Summarize how your plan will result in an effective team that will contribute to organizational success.
- References page.
Example assessment: You may use the Assessment 3 Exemplar [PDF] to give you an idea of what a Proficient or higher rating on the scoring guide would look like.
- Based on the intended audience, your plan should be well organized and written in clear, succinct language.
- Target 4â€“5 double-spaced pages of content, in addition to a title page and references page.
- Include 3â€“7 reputable resources to support your ideas.
- Follow APA rules for attributing sources that support your analysis and conclusions.
Academic Integrity and APA Formatting
As a reminder related to using APA rules to ensure academic honesty:
- When using a direct quote (using exact or nearly exact wording), you must enclose the quoted wording in quotation marks, immediately followed by an in-text citation. The source must then be listed in your references page.
- When paraphrasing (using your own words to describe a non-original idea), the paraphrased idea must be immediately followed by an in-text citation and the source must be listed in your references page.
Note: Faculty may use the Writing Feedback Tool when grading this assessment. The Writing Feedback Tool is designed to provide you with guidance and resources to develop your writing based on five core skills. You will find writing feedback in the Scoring Guide for the assessment, once your work has been evaluated.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post bus fp3007 assessment 3 building effective teams appeared first on Quality Nursing Writers.